Custom Search

Unit 2: Functioning in Business

CUT 1

Eliz: We`re back again with our guest, Gary Engleton.
Gary: It seems that you have a lot of experience in international business.
Gary: Yes, I travel abroad a lot, and I`m often on the phone with my overseas clients.
Eliz: How did you get interested in doing international work?
Gary: Well, I grew up in an international family. My father was in the army, and when I was young, we lived in Germany and Thailand. And my mother is Korean. I`ve spent quite a bit of time in Korea visiting my grandparents and other relatives.
Eliz: Oh, do you speak Korean?
Gary: Yes, I do.



Eliz: I didn`t know that. I`ve also lived abroad.
Gary: Oh really? Where?
Eliz: In China. I studied political science at UC Berkeley in the seventies. Then I got a Fulbright scholarship to study in China.
Gary: Where in China did you live?
Eliz: I lived in Shanghai. After I left China, I did a Master`s in Public Policy at Georgetown University.
Gary: And so how did you get into radio?
Eliz: I worked at the local radio station when I was at Georgetown. I discovered I like asking questions!
Gary: You`ll get a chance to ask lots of questions on this show!
Eliz: I sure will. Let`s take a break.


MUSIC

CUT 2

Eliz: In Germany and Thailand.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He lived in Germany and Thailand. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: Where did Gary live when he was young? (pause for repeat)
Eliz: He lived in Germany and Thailand. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: Korean. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: He speaks Korean. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: What language does Gary speak besides (ngoài) English? (pause for repeat)
Eliz: He speaks Korean. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: Political science. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: She studied political science. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: What did Elizabeth study at UC Berkeley? (pause for repeat)
Eliz: She studied political science. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: At Georgetown University. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: She got her Master`s at Georgetown University. (pause for repeat)
Eliz: Where did she get her Master`s? (pause for repeat)
Eliz: She got her Master`s at Georgetown University. (pause for repeat)


MUSIC

CUT 3

Eliz: We`re back with Gary Engleton, our language and culture expert.
Gary: Hi, Elizabeth.
Eliz: Hello, Gary. Our listeners have sent in some e-mail questions, Gary. They have some questions about American business culture.
Gary: I`ll try my best!
Eliz: Our first question is,"Do Americans usually use their first name or last name in business?”
Gary: Well, this is a difficult question. Not everyone feels the same about names.
Eliz: What do you prefer?
Gary: Personally, I always use my first name, but some Americans prefer to use their last names. To be safe, use the name the other person gives you. I always say,"Please call me Gary.”
Eliz: Our next question is,"When speaking with women in business, when should we use Miss, Mrs. or Ms.?
Gary: Well, Miss is for single women; Mrs. is for married women. They are older words. Ms. is a newer word. Ms. is easier to use than Mrs. or Miss because you don`t have to know whether or not a woman is married. I always use Ms. because with Ms., I always don`t offend people.
Eliz: What do most American women in business prefer?
Gary: I believe most American women prefer Ms.
Eliz: Thank you, Gary. Let`s take a break.

MUSIC

CUT 4

Eliz: Some people use their first name in business, but others prefer to use their__________. (ding)(pause for answer) (chuông, ngưng để trả lời)
Eliz: last name.
Eliz: They prefer to use their last name. (ding)(short pause)
Eliz: Most American women prefer to be addressed as (gọi là)___________. (ding)(Pause for answer)
Eliz: Ms.
Eliz: They prefer to be addressed as Ms. (short pause)
Eliz: In the past, people used to address all married women as______. (ding)(pause for answer)
Eliz: Mrs. People used to say Mrs. (short pause)


MUSIC

CUT 5

Eliz: Hello, Gary. Can you tell me more about “Gary`s Tips?”
Gary: Sure.
In “Gary`s Tips”, I`ll be giving tips about language functions.
Eliz: What`s a language function?
Gary: A language function is something that you do with language. An example is a request. You make a request when you ask someone to tell you something or do something for you.
For example, in an airport, if you say,"Can you tell me where Gate 21 is?” you`re requesting directions to Gate 21.
If you say,"I`d like a glass of water, please,” you`re requesting a glass of water.
Eliz: I understand. What are some other language functions?
Gary: Oh, there are lots of different language functions, like offering, refusing, confirming, and agreeing.
For example, when you say,"Would you like another cup of coffee?” you are making an offer.
Eliz: I`ll look forward to hearing more about language functions in the coming weeks.
Gary: Yes, it`s going to be fun!
Eliz: I want to thank you for being with us today.
Gary: Thank you! I`ll see you again next time!


MUSIC

Eliz: Well, our time is up. Tune in again next time for Functioning in Business. See you then!

CUT 6

Eliz: My training is in linguistics.
Larry: I studied linguistics.
Eliz: I got my BA.
Larry: I graduated with a BA.
Eliz: I taught business English to foreign students.
Larry: I taught business English to international students.
Eliz: After I got my MBA, I started a business.
Larry: After I got my MBA, I formed my own business.


MUSIC


Custom Search

  ©Copyright by English 4 Student 2010. Contact us Advertising Send Articles Gửi Bài



Back to TOP