Custom Search

Unit 1: Where Do You Come From?

CUT 1

Music

Max: Hi, I`m Max.
Kathy: Hello. My name is Kathy.
Max and Kathy: Welcome to New Dynamic English!
Larry: Dynamic English is a beginning language course and an introduction to American people and culture. Today`s unit is Where Do You Come From?
Kathy: Good morning, Max. How are you today?
Max: Fine, thank you. And you?
Kathy: Just fine.
Kathy: Hello, everyone. My name is Kathy. I come from New York.
Max: New York?




Kathy: Yes, New York.
Where do you come from, Max?
Max: I come from San Francisco.
Kathy: San Francisco?
Max: That`s right. San Francisco, California.


CUT 2

Larry: I come from San Francisco.(pause and repeat)
Max: I come from San Francisco.(pause and repeat)
Larry: I come from New York.(pause and repeat)
Kathy: I come from New York.(pause and repeat)
Larry: I come from California.(pause and repeat)
Max: I come from California.(pause for repeat)
Larry: I come from the United States. (pause and repeat)
Kathy: I come from the United States. (pause and repeat)


CUT 3

- Do you come from Los Angeles?
- No, I don`t. I don`t come from Los Angeles.
- I come from New York City.
- Where do you come from? (New York City)
- I come from New York City.
- California.
- I come from California


MUSIC


CUT 4

Larry: Daily Dialog—On an Airplane (part 1).

Walter: Hi, my name is Walter. Walter Kennedy. (short pause)
Michael: Hello, my name is Michael. Michael Davis. (short pause)
Walter: Nice to meet you. (short pasue)
Michael: Nice to meet you, too. (short pause)
Larry: Listen and repeat
Walter: Hi, my name is Walter. Walter Kennedy. (short pause)
Michael: Hello, my name is Michael. Michael Davis. (short pause)
Walter: Nice to meet you. (short pasue)
Michael: Nice to meet you, too. (short pause)


CUT 5

Larry: OK...and we`re off the air. Good shows.
Kathy: Thanks, Larry. Larry, have you met Max?
Larry: Yes, I have. Good show, Max. Welcome to Washington.
Max: Thanks, Larry.
Kathy: Max, how do you and your wife like your new house?
Max: Oh, we like it a lot.
Kathy: Do you miss San Francisco?
Max: A little. But Washington and San Francisco are both very international. I was at the Mall yesterday... ..and there were people speaking Spanish and Russian and Chinese. It sounded like the United Nations. How long have you lived in Washington, Kathy?
Kathy: I moved here several years ago.
Max: Where from?
Kathy: From New York City.
Max: Do you miss New York?
Kathy: Sometimes. But I go there pretty often.


Kathy: Oh, hi, Elizabeth.
Elizabeth: Have you met Max?
Eliz: No, I haven`t.
Kathy: Elizabeth, this is Max Wilson.
Max just moved from San Francisco. Max, this is Elizabeth Moore. Elizabeth is the host of Functioning in Business. Her show is on next.
Max: Nice to meet you, Elizabeth.
Liz: Nice to meet you too. Max. Excuse me, but my show is about to begin.
Max and Kathy: Good luck.


Eliz: Okay, Larry. I`m ready when you are.
Larry: Ready for Functioning in Business.
Eliz: Hello, I`m Elizabeth Moore. Welcome to Functioning in Business!


Larry: Functioning in Business is an intermediate level business English course with a focus on American business practice and culture. Today`s unit is “Introductions, Part 1"


CUT 6

MUSIC

Eliz: In this program we will follow the story of an important business trip. We will follow the meetings and negotiations between several international companies.
As we study these meetings, we`ll interview some of the participants. We will also look closely at the language they use for conducting business in English.
We`ll see how successful use of English can lead to success in business and in international communication.


CUT 7

Eliz: Our guest today is Gary Engleton. Gary is our host of “Gary`s Tips” and also of “Culture Tips.” “Gary`s Tips and “Culture Tips” will be regular features on Functioning in Business.
Hello, Gary! Welcome to our show!
Gary: Hello, Elizabeth! It`s great to be here.
Eliz: On each Functioning in Business program, you`ll talk about how to use English in business situations.
Gary: That`s right. I`ll give tips about American culture and about using the English language in business. I`m glad we`re able to do this radio show together.
Eliz: I am, too. I`m excited about doing a radio documentary on using English for business.
Gary: Me too. I think it will be interesting and useful for our listeners.
Eliz: Gary, let`s tell our listeners a little about your background.
Gary: Sure. What do you want to know?
Eliz: How did you get into the language consulting business?
Gary: I studied at UCLA.
Eliz: That`s the University of California at Los Angeles, right?
Gary: Right. I got my BA there in 1979.
Then I went to Harvard Business Schoool to do an MBA.
While I was doing my MBA, I taught business English to foreign students.
Eliz: That`s interesting.
Gary: After I got my MBA, I started my own business.
I began helping foreign companies do business in the United States. Now I also work with international business people who need help with their English.
Eliz: We`re so happy to have you on our show.
Gary: I`m happy to be here!
Eliz: Great! Let`s take a break.

MUSIC

Custom Search

  ©Copyright by English 4 Student 2010. Contact us Advertising Send Articles Gửi Bài



Back to TOP