Custom Search

Unit 12: Job History

CUT1

Eliz: Our guest today is Michael Epstein. Hello, Mike. Thank you for coming back to our program.
Epstein: Hello, again. It`s nice to be back.
Eliz: You said you`re a systems engineer at Advanced Technologies, is that correct?
Epstein: That`s right.
Eliz: What`s your background, Mike?
Epstein: I have a background in both engineering and business.
Eliz: I see. Where did you study engineering?
Epstein: At Stanford. I majored in Electrical Engineering.
Eliz: And when did you graduate?
Epstein: 1988. I graduated in 1988.
Eliz: I see. And what did you do after graduation?
Epstein: My first job was an engineer for a small company in San Francisco.
Eliz: And what were your responsibilities?
Epstein: I was a quality assurance engineer. I worked for them for just under two years.
Eliz: Why did you leave?
Epstein: I became more interested in the business side of things, so I decided to go back to school to get an MBA.
Eliz: That`s interesting, Mike. Let`s take a short break and then I`ll ask you some more questions.
Epstein: Sounds good.

Music



CUT 2


Eliz: I majored in Electrical Engineering.
Larry: My major was Electrical Engineering.(pause)
Eliz: My first job was an engineer.
Larry: In my first job I worked as an engineer.(pause)
Eliz: I worked for them for just under two years.
Larry: I worked for them for a little less than two years.(pause)
Eliz: I decided to go back to school to get my MBA.
Larry: I decided to go back for my MBA.(pause)

Music

CUT 3

Eliz: Welcome back. So you were saying, Mike, that you decided to get a business degree.
Epstein: That`s right.
Eliz: Did you go back to Stanford?
Epstein: Yes, I did. I was married at the time, and my wife was also working in San Francisco. So I didn`t want to leave the Bay Area.
Eliz: When did you get your MBA?
Epstein: In 1992.
Eliz: Then what?
Epstein: Well, I was looking for a position with a medium sized company. Advanced Technologies seemed like the right place for me.
Eliz: And now you are Senior Systems Engineer there.
Epstein: That`s right.
Eliz: Do you like your work?
Epstein: Yes, I do, very much.
Eliz: What do you do when you`re not working, Mike?
Epstein: Well, I enjoy golf, but I don`t get much time to play.

Music

CUT 4



Larry: Listen and repeat.
Eliz: Advanced Technologies.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He works for Advanced Technologies.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Who does Mr. Epstein work for?(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He works for Advanced Technologies.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Stanford University.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He went to Stanford University.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: What school did he go to?(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He went to Stanford University.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Electrical Engineering.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He majored in Electrical Engineering.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: What did he major in?(pause for repeat)
Eliz: He majored in Electrical Engineering.(pause for repeat)

Music

CUT 5


Eliz: Hello again. We`re here with Gary Engleton, our business language expert. Let`s look at our e-mail question, Gary.
Gary: All right.
[Computer keyboard sounds - tiếng đánh máy trên bàn máy điện tử]
Eliz: Our first question is, “How much vacation do Americans get?”
Gary: Most American workers get at least two weeks after a few years. In addition, most companies give their workers some holidays, like Christmas and July 4th, and some days of sick time. Some part time workers, however, are not paid for vacations.
Eliz: Thanks, Gary. Our second question is,"What is the average work day and work week?”
Gary: We generally think of an 8-hour day and 40-hour week as “normal.” High level executives, however, are usually expected to work as much as 50-60 hours a week because they are paid so much. But at start up companies, people work even more hours, sometimes for very little pay.
Eliz: Thanks for your comments.
Gary: My pleasure.
Eliz: Let`s take a short break.

Music

CUT 6

Eliz: A day when most people don`t go to work is called_____.(ding) (pause for answer)
Eliz: a holiday.
It`s called a holiday.(short pause)
Eliz: A new company is called _______.(ding) (pause for answer)
Eliz: a start-up company.
It`s called a start-up company.(short pause)
Eliz: The normal work day at an America company is_______.(ding) (short pause)
Eliz: eight hours.
The normal work day is eight hours.(short pause)

Music


Custom Search

  ©Copyright by English 4 Student 2010. Contact us Advertising Send Articles Gửi Bài



Back to TOP