Custom Search

Unit 9: Job Responsibilities

CUT 1

Story Interlude: Karen`s Job Search=câu chuyện giữa bài: Karen tìm việc.
Kathy: Thanks again for dinner, Max. I had a great time at your house.
Max: We did, too. Karen really enjoyed meeting you.
Kathy: I really liked her too. And John is a great kid.
Max: Thanks.
Kathy: How`s Karen`s job search going?
Max: Well, there are a lot of jobs for computer programmers.
But she can only work part-time.
Kathy: Who will take care of John during the day?
Max: Well, we`re looking for child care.
And I can work at home two afternoons a week.
Kathy: Well, say hi for me.
Max: OK, I`ll do that. I hope we can get together again soon.
Kathy: Yes, I like that. Hi, Elizabeth, how`s it going?
Eliz: Just fine. Oh. I`m late. See you later.

Music



CUT 2

Eliz: Welcome to our show! We have a new guest today. His name is Mr. Michael Epstein.
Mr. Epstein is Senior Systems Engineer at Advanced Technologies, Incorporated.
Hello, Mr. Epstein. Thank you for coming to our program.
Epstein: It`s my pleasure. Please call me Mike.
Eliz: OK, Mike. Can you tell us a little about Advanced Technologies?
Epstein: Well, we`re located in Sunnyvale, California.
Eliz: That`s Silicon valley, right?
Epstein: That`s right. It`s about forty miles south of San Francisco.
Eliz: And what does your company produce?
Epstein: We make electronic components for computers.
Eliz: Where do you sell your products?
Epstein: We sell our components in domestic markets and also overseas.
Eliz: You`re a systems engineer, is that correct?
Epstein: That`s right.
Eliz: What are your main responsibilities?
Epstein: My main job is to reduce production costs. That`s how I became involved in the negotiations with International Robotics. My job was to find ways to cut production costs for the factory we were building near San Francisco.
Eliz: I see. So you thought industrial robots could provide some cost savings.
Epstein: Exactly.
Eliz: Thanks for talking with us, Mike. Let`s take a short break.

Music

CUT 3


Eliz: We make electronic components for computers.
Larry: We manufacture electronic components for computers.(pause)
Eliz: What are your main responsibilities?
Larry: What do you do?(pause)
Elliz: My main job is to reduce production costs.
Larry: My main job is to cut production costs.(pause)
Eliz: Industrial robots can provide some cost savings.
Larry: Industrial robots can save company money.(pause)

CUT 4

Eliz: Hello, again, Mike.
Epstein: Hello.
Eliz: Mike, as you know, we`ll be talking with you, Shirley Graham, and Charles Blake over the next several weeks. We`ll be discussing Charles Blake`s trip from China to the United States to visit you and Ms. Graham at Advanced Technologies.
Epstein: Yes, Mr. Blake came to talk to us about International Robotics` industrial robots.
Eliz: And how did you meet Mr. Blake?
Epstein: I met him in Beijing. I went there to attend a trade show and he was at the show representing his company. I was interested in the robots his company produces. I thought they might be helpful in our manufacturing process. I invited Mr. Blake to come to Advanced Technologies to talk with us about selling us his robots.
Eliz: Thank you, Mike.

CUT 5

Larry: Telephone.
Eliz: Let`s open up the phone and see if we have any callers.
Eliz: Caller Number 1. You`re on the air with Functioning in Business. Male caller: Hello. Thanks for taking my call. Ahh, Mr. Epstein. I`m a systems engineer too, and I have a question for you.
Epstein: Great! Go ahead.
Male caller: You said that you were involved in a project to build a new factory. How many factories does Advanced Technologies have?
Epstein: We currently have four in the U.S. and two abroad.
Male caller: Where are they located?
Epstein: Our main factory is in Los Angeles, and we have smaller factories in Northern California.
Male caller: What about overseas?
Epstein: We have one factory in the Philippines and one in Mexico.
Male caller: I see. Thank you.
Eliz: Caller Number Two. You`re on the air.
Female caller: Thank you, Mr. Epstein, I was wondering what products Advanved Technologies manufactures.
Epstein: Well, we make electronic components and office computers.
Female caller: What kinds of electronic components?
Epstein: Mostly computer related.
Female caller: I see. Does your company currently use robots on your assembly line? [currently=hiện thời]
Epstein: Yes, we do. The work has to be very precise. [chính xác]
Female caller: I see. Thank you very much.
Eliz: Mr. Epstein, thank you for being on our show.
Epstein: Thank you for inviting me on your show.
Eliz: Let`s take a short break.

MUSIC

CUT 6


Eliz: At a trade show in China.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: They met at a trade show in China.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Where did Mr. Epstein meet Mr. Blake?(pause for repeat)
Eliz: They met at a trade show in China.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Four factories in the U.S. and two abroad.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: It has four factories in the U.S. and two abroad.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: How many factories does Advanced Technologies have?(pause for repeat)
Eliz: It has four factories in the U.S. and two abroad.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: In Los Angeles.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Its main factory is in Los Angeles.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Where is Advanced Technologies` main factory?(pause for repeat)
Eliz: Its main factory is in Los Angeles.(pause for repeat)


Custom Search

  ©Copyright by English 4 Student 2010. Contact us Advertising Send Articles Gửi Bài



Back to TOP