Custom Search

Unit 7: Networking

CUT 1

Sentence completion. Complete the sentence:
Eliz: To find a job, look at the newspaper_____.(ding)(pause for answer)
Eliz: ads. Look at the newspaper ads.(short pause)
Eliz: A company that helps you find a job is called_____.(ding)(pause for answer)
Eliz: an employment agency. It`s called an employment agency. (short pause)
Eliz: A summary of your work and educational history is called______. (ding)(pause for answer)
Eliz: a résumé. It`s called a résumé.(short pause)
Eliz: Meeting and staying in touch with business associates is called______.(ding)(pause for answer)
Eliz: networking. It`s called networking.(short pause)

MUSIC



CUT 2


Eliz: Today`s Business Dialog is about describing your educational background.
Let`s listen to Mr. Rosenberg as he is being interviewed for a job. The interviewer asks him about his educational background.
Interviewer: Mr. Rosenberg, can you tell me something about your educational background.
Rosenberg: Yes, certainly. I did my BS at the University of Wisconsin. I majored in computer science. I graduated in 1983.
Interviewer: I see from your resume that you did a Master`s at MIT.
Rosenberg: Yes, I got a Master`s in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 1986. My specilization was microprocessing design.


MUSIC.

CUT 3


Eliz: I did my BS at the University of Wisconsin.(Pause for repeat)
Eliz: I graduated in 1983.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: My major was computer science.(pause for repeat)
Eliz: My specialization was microprocessor design.(pause for repeat)


MUSIC

CUT 4



Gary Tips.
Eliz: Welcome back. It`s time for Gary`s Tips.
What`s your topic for today, Gary?
Gary: Today I`ll be talking about describing your educational background. Sometimes you will need to describe your educational background. You might be at a party, or in a more formal situation, such as a job interview.
In today`s Business Dialog, we heard Mr. Rosenberg at a job interview, talking about his educational background.
He talked about where he studied, what degrees he received, and when he received them.
Let`s listen again to part of the interview.



Interviewer: Mr. Rosenberg, can you tell me something about your educational background?
Rosenberg: Yes, certainly. I did my BS at the University of Wisconsin. My major was computer science. I graduated in 1983.


Gary: Let`s listen to some more of the interview.
Listen to the information Mr. Rosenberg gives about his Master`s degree. First he gives the name of the degree, and then he says what area he specialized in.


Interviewer: I see from your résumé that you did your Master`s at MIT.
Rosenberg: Yes, I got a Master`s in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 1986.
My specialization was microprocessing design.


Gary: Usually we use abbreviations to refer to degrees. When people say they have a BA or BS, that means they have a Bachelor`s degree.
A BA is Bachelor of Arts and a BS is a Bachelor of Science.
These are degrees you get after four years of study at a college or university.
Higher level degrees are called graduate degrees.
An MA is Master of Arts, for example. An MBA is a Master of Business Administration. Many business executives have an MBA. There are many different ways to say that you have a degree.
For example, you can say,"I did my BA at Stanford,” “I got my BA from Stanford,” or “I have a BA from Stanford.”
Also, when a person says,"I went to Stanford,” this usually means that the person graduated with a BA.
I hope today`s tips were helpful!
Eliz: Thanks, Gary!

MUSIC




Custom Search

  ©Copyright by English 4 Student 2010. Contact us Advertising Send Articles Gửi Bài



Back to TOP